Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 187 - A difficult first


Winter is well and truly upon us with 3 out of the 5 who live in my house sick, really sick. Ava had a very unsettled and feverish night, along with her dad who is also sick at the moment. I got up and slept in Ava's bed after a little while, which when Olivia woke this morning, gave her a little start, wondering where her sister, Ava was. So the day was going to be full of many challenges. One very big, heart tugging one was a constant today. So just excuse my ramblings that follow, but this is something I want the girls to know about when they are older.

I have always followed the belief that if one of the girls is sick, they both stay home, and somewhere deep down I knew it had to change eventually. I decided that today really should be the day. With Jenny as their room leader and both Shane and I at home, we would give it a go. Olivia was to go to school. Alone. She was quite happy to go to school and have a special day with Jenny, Ava was a little sad to be at home with us, but with some bribery - a promise to watch 'Cars' and to go to the doctor, she gave in and stayed home, happily I think.

I know some of you are thinking - 'what's the big deal?' Well, in 3 years the only time my girls have been apart is if one goes shopping and that other chooses to stay home, and they are always at home with Shane or I. They know no different. They aren't an only child, they are a part of a collective - a twin thing... and I don't often play into the whole 'we have twins, therefore we are much more special than others' business and I do believe they are individual people - if they were single children they would go without the other, but they are twins and it tugs at my heart strings having to separate them, but I know it is for the best.

So yes I did have a little cry, and so did Olivia when it came to rest time at daycare, but we got through the day and I am so impressed with my Olivia, who I didn't think would cope very well, but with Aunty Jenny and her beautiful friend Ingrid she managed just fine.

I did too, with some help of my wonderful friends, a lovely birthday invitation, a visit with a gorgeous Cooper and of course some delicious macaroons.

Next time, I will have a stash of macaroons on hand, and I'll be ready. I hope.

2 comments:

  1. Aww... I love how you described this... brought a lump to my throat! They both handled it very well and I think that Olivia enjoyed telling everyone where Ava was today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks B :)
    I know she loved telling everyone in almost her loudest voice! It is almost as good as her always telling me when Ava is doing something wrong and she isn't!

    ReplyDelete